When we mention the phrase ‘Estate Planning’ people sometimes wonder exactly what we mean.
Well it’s about Wills, Trusts and Lasting Powers of Attorney or protecting your wealth for you and your family.
Most people know that they should have a Will and what it does but many don’t understand what trusts are or how they can protect a lifetime’s worth of savings and wealth. How trusts can reduce Inheritance Tax, alleviate the threat of care home fees or how they can protect your wealth from attack through circumstances like divorce or bankruptcy. Trusts can also ensure that your assets are protected for your bloodline, preventing their loss through remarriage.
Many people also don’t have a Lasting Powers of Attorney, or understand what happens if they, or family members, become incapacitated without one in place.
There are lots of myths out there about what actually happens. We say “Don’t leave it to chance.”
Please take our test – if you can answer ‘Yes’ to all of the questions then you are at least in a position to make informed decisions. If you answer ‘No’ to any of them, pick up the phone and ask for a completely free initial, no obligation meeting with us. You’ll be glad that you did . . .
1. Have you made a Will?
2. Do you know what happens if you die without having made a Will?
3. Are you familiar with the use of Trusts to protect family assets?
4. If you own property do you know if it is owned as joint tenants or tenants in common and how this might affect you in the future?
5. If you have children under 18 years, have you a named guardian in your Will?
6. Are you confident that your Will effectively protects your hard earned assets for your future generations?
7. Do you know what the financial threshold is before you may become eligible to cover your own long term care costs?
8. Do you have a Lasting Power of Attorney?
9. Do you know what happens if you become mentally incapacitated without any Power of Attorney in place?
If you would like to know more, have a free initial meeting or would like to go on the mailing list for one of our future Estate Planning presentations, just contact the TW office.